Bug in interaction between auto-supports and flexible drainage

If the auto-support algorithm places a node that is inside a flexible drainage hole, then although no support is formed, the spherical tip is formed in mid air in the middle of the hole. While this is easy enough to remove using validator, it is a bit of a pain.

thanks for reporting this. I tested it and seems there is indeed a bug in generation of the auto supports when it generates inside a flexible hole…

Truth be told; we were actually thinking of removing the flexible holes as the booleaned holes are more intuitive and raise less questions. Be it that sometimes a calculation goes wrong and you have to click twice…
So not sure i can fix this fast. But i will write it down.

Please DO NOT remove the flexible holes.
There’s bugs in the boolean hole algorithm.

For one, it often makes too long holes…
I wanted to print this one:
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-lyzz-kaboom-goblin-lady-fantasy-pin-up-108232
(Scaled up to 2x)
I hollowed the parts, and when I tried to add holes on the Goblin, I placed them on the underside of the butt/thigh so that they would be hidden when the mini was seated on the rocket.
The holes would either go through her thigh and exit on the upper thigh/lap, once she got a second bellybutton, and every other time it crashed with an error message.

mm ok clear point :slight_smile:

fyi, Boolean code is known to be virtually impossible to do bug free. Even the best CAD packages have lots of them.

The algoritm we made is very simple so it will not handle complex cases. It expects 2 surfaces only that are somewhat parallel.

It really depends on how clean your mesh is and if there are not complicated intersections caused by where you click. This last point something we could ‘autofix’ probably if we invested more time there…

Then make a new ‘drill’ function where the user can specify the length and diameter of a ‘drill bit’, then use the mouse to place it where he wants a hole. Or something like that…