Does Formware 3d have Linux support?

I apologize if it says it somewhere, but I cant seem to find it but does Formware3D support linux? Mainly referring to Debian/ubuntu support

Hi,

Currently not.

We are planning for end of year to have a mac/linux beta. Large part of the code base has been rewritten for this.
Linux will be Ubuntu.

Elco

Hi,
Is there any update on when a linux version will be available to beta test? I would be more than willing to provide feedback on functionality in ubuntu

Hi,

Noted. We’re working on converting hte entire code base. It’s taking a little longer as expected but it’s work in progress. So far we’ve done about 90% of the UI in a way that it would be ‘native’ multiplatform.
As most (commercial) customers use windows it’s not #1 priority but we are working to it with a constant flow.

There is however still a lot of testing to do as we use a lot of image functionality from windows.

kind regards
Elco

This is great and I’ve been waiting for this for a very long time!

I can participate to beta test the MacOS version when it will be finished.

For now I have to use a second computer just for FormWare3D, I would love a native MacOS version and from what i gather, a lot of people would buy if there is multi-platform support as there really isn’t anything close to this amazing software.

I’m curious about how this is going. I run Linux exclusively for my 3D design and print work, and I would love to be able to use the FormWare slicer. Is there any timeframe for beta testing or support?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes there is some news. The entire code base was converted. We bought a mac mini last week to compile it for mac. We are able to compile it on windows/mac/linux now. We’re sorting out some last issues with the OpenGL (graphics) implementations on Mac.
After that we’re have to figure out how to package the installers for linux and mac. (especially mac is cumbersome). So we’re close. But to be honest; it’s been a slow process also due to other tasks at hand.

kind regards
Elco

Fantastic to hear! Thanks for the update. I understand and appreciate it’s a slow process. I will still ask though, is there any timeframe? Even a rough one? I’m not keen on having to subscribe to some other tool to keep working if Formware is soon available for Linux.

Thanks in advance.

well… i can’t promise anything but i hope 2-3 months to have something working.

I have a follow-up question. I can make a temporary install of Windows on one of my (decent) systems, to start using FormWare. But my goal would be to use it on my Linux Workstation, which is a lot beefier. If I purchase the software now, and start learning and using it on the Windows system, will it be possible for me to transfer that license to my main Linux system when such a release is made?

I know, this is assuming it is made. But I am ever the optimist on that. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Yes that will be no problem.
The licenses are machine locked.
You can just remove the license from the help menu and install somewhere else.

kind regrards,
Elco

Howdy! Is there any update on this topic? I was looking into purchasing a license, but I solely run linux machines.

Yeah sure there is an update. Which is that i have it working on a mac. But was not able to publish it yet; some priority work came in between.

I have not tested it on a linux pc yet; but i’m sure it will run.

Last 2 weeks i’ve converted our OpenGL pipeline to go from OpenGL 4, towards OpenGL ES 3.0, which then can be used in combination with ANGLE (a software kit from google which runs on everything for the 3d engine)…

I’m hoping i will be able to compile/publish to linux more easily than mac. The signing on mac is supposed to be a non-automated nightmare which i haven’t looked into yet.

If I may ask a question in return (i’m not a linux guy). What is the most used packaging you would expect on a linux machine? and how would the default install flow look then?
i.e. on windows we have .msi, you just click a couple of times and it’s installed…
How does that typically go on linux?

thx
Elco

The easiest option to cover most Linux distributions would be as AppImage. That’s what many other slicer programs already use.