Peopoly Phenom - Very poor prints around Supported areas

Hello Community!

I’ve just started using Formware as I’m looking for commercial grade SLA slicers and I do very much like all the options and settings available in this software over Chitubox and Lychee!

I ran a few test today printing some dice as they have nice hard edges, and while the print quality was perfect on almost all sides, the print quality was horrible on sides where supports were touching the model. It was like the printer smeared mud on the edges where I had supports and it was just really, really bad.

Are there any support profiles or settings others can recommend I use on a Peopoly Phenom so I can get the nice, smooth and hard edges on all surfaces?

Thanks!

See these attached image…

Hi Tim,

Hard to tell from the image what is happening. Is the support removal breaking of parts of your model?
are you first removing support and then curing?

It’s been on my list for a while to improve the support tips. Expect this in a couple of days.

thx,
Elco

Hi Elco,

Yeah, I tried to upload multiple photos, but as I’m a first time poster, I couldn’t…
I created the attached photo which shows the clean sides, and inconsistent sides more closely.

• The two photos on the left show some dice which had 0 supports on them… Printed almost flawlessly.
  • The three photos on the right, are from where supports were placed… Not all these crevices and dips had supports in those areas… It just looks like on all edges where supports were touching, those sides came out clumpy and discombobulated.

So I’m not sure what could have caused this as I would at least expect some bits to protrude from breaking off the supports, but I haven’t seen this behaviour in any other slicers, so I wanted to stop by and ask.

In my experience the blobby bottom issues are the result of the resin not draining away from the part during the move, so I think bits of partially cured resin build up around supported areas. Higher lift and light off delays might help address it. Depends on the resin as well, the more viscous it is the more this happens to me.