Support generation settings - tuning - UNIZ vs Formware

Hi, any idea why 2 slicers in default have so much different result in creating support structure?

I am comparing UNIZ slicer vs Formware slicer, same model, almost same orientation ( but dues not matter too much in some degree difference )

Result is from new UNIZ slicer where it looks like it supports only the lowes unsupported isles where formware supports all places over critical build angle.

Comparison of results is here ( screenshots )

I can share the STL files with support structure and model, if usefull for evaluation.

Hi Petr,

Interesting comparison!

They way I look at it:

1. Uniz i see they have less branching and cross linking. This means less stability.

2. Indeed they have no internal supports. Perhaps an option? It will also depend on your machine and how well it’s capable of printing a little overhang.

Each software has it’s own algoritm to generate them. There is no universal guideline on how to do this. It’s up to the developers…

Elco

Settings is standard, internal supports enabled.
Just doing the test print to check how will it come.
This is latest version of UNIZ slicer which looks like they tuned the supports generation a lot.

The result from UNIZ is more like from ASIGA and other high end printers.

Question is, if their settings work, if it is possible to setup Formware to produce similar results.

And here is the result. Their supports work, amazing. Any idea how to configure simple supports in formware?

Hi Petr,

Sure if you want something similar as theirs:

1. go into machine settings -> manual supports -> split lattice -> change to 4 sided flange
  2. turn of internal supports checkbox in support tab (screenshot)
  3. set pole widening to 1.0
  4. reduce density a little
  5. increase pole diameter a little to 1.6
  6. (advanced tab) set first beam length a little larger to 6mm

Looks pretty similar… there are many variations possible.

Hi, thank you for guide. Tried and looks similar, but they have something smart there. Interesting is when doing supports for teeths, formware is better ( less supports, smarter placement ). But the base for the denture is best in UNIZ. Trying to decrease the density to 70% reduces the supports in the important part at the bottom, but does not reduce at the edges where it prints fine almost without supports.

If anyone wants to try, here is the STL

For all jobs I use formware, as it is best to control and results are great. This just amazed me and I have tried other models of denture bases and result is same on all, formware is very generouse in creating supports.

I looks like it is the shape that matters and the result from UNIZ is similar to result from ASIGA composer slicer

I’m not sure i follow what you are saying.
You have various options for adding a baseplate. In terms of shape, with or without holes or just the feet of the support alone. You can also change the top and bottom diameter to affect how they build up. I.e. bigger top diameter might be easier to remove from the table.

Sorry, should have described better. Not about base plate, just about support generation. If you will have 15 minutes of time, just try it yourself with the posted STL. Uniz slicer is free to download.

If I tune formware I can decrease number of supports ( by density, ignoring small surfaces/creases, etc.). but this reduces number of supports in all areas so I get much different result.

It is just a tip for you to look at it as it is interesting how much different the result is from Formware vs. UNIZ slicer on the dental prints.