Support Generation - Unintended Behavior


#1

One feature I truly enjoy using is the “Edit critical creases and surfaces” function. It works 98% of the time I use it. It makes quick work of fine tuning supports based on the differentiation of critical surfaces.

But I have noticed a few issues. The main issue being that an applied change to sampling density doesn’t always translate into the supports appearing like you would expect.

Adjusted sampling preview result:

After applying:

What might be the reason for the predicted/expected support points not resulting in the creation of a support(s)? I’ve checked my model for flaws and tested many different support parameters. Nothing is below my model which might interfere with the support calculation or placement. I’ve ran into this phenomenon with a few models of mine. Might I be doing something wrong? Or is there a way to force those points to be used for support generation?

When placing single supports for the area not covered due to the above issue, can a lattice structure be constructed between single supports? The “Add a connecting bar between existing supports” function is broken for me. The program will just hang (version 1.0.3.7). I’ve tested and it doesn’t matter how tall or fall apart the selected supports are from one another. Might there be another way to join supports?

Let me know if you need any files.


#2

Hi,

Yes please email us the file that gives this trouble. I can’t tell exactly why it behaves like this but it shouldn’t when i look at the image :wink:

The moment you generate supports it always filters the points to prevent any extreme densities.
There are additional filters that check for to many points along boundaries of critical surfaces. Could be something is off there.

Regarding the connection bar; strange. I’ve just retested to be sure but seems to work here. No other reports so far of this. Is it also in the same file?

Elco


#3

Tail Section Final.stl (1.8 MB)

Thank you for the quick response. I’ve attached the STL file. The orientation of the object in the file is how I intend to print the part. I played with the spacing/sampling value (2-6 mm) and couldn’t get supports to form on the uppermost cross-section (as shown in the images).

I have issues with the connection bar feature on other models. Tested it on a few other object and the same behavior was noticed. The program would lockup and be unresponsive after selected the second support. I’m attempting to connect two manually placed single supports. It only fails if one or both supports are manually placed. The function works perfecting if I select two supports which were created with the automated function.

Let me know if you can reproduce this issue. Might there be a debug or logging state which can help pinpoint the cause of the issue? Don’t know if this is a problem specific to my installation.


#4

Hi,

I’ve finally had some time to have a look at this file; but no solution or problem found yet. There might of course be a bug but I can’t reproduce it at the moment without exact steps.

When I load it and run the supporter it looks like this.
Then when I edit some creases and increase the density it results:

Then the placed supports:

points to note:

  1. I slightly rotated the model to have the side flanges also critical surfaces (this shows from your image but when I load the stl without rotation these flanges were not critical

  2. the algoritm for crease detection walks up from the bottom to whatever crease it’s connected to. So some of the creases contani multiple branches. They might not be evenly distributed in a model like this. That should not matter as long as you sampling density is similar… probably what one would want.

  3. the algoritm first samples creases. Then surfaces; but removes any points that are closed to an already sampled crease. That is to prevent oversupporting.
    I’m thinking maybe there might perhaps be a memory bug somewhere, as it would save previous points somehow and prevent newly sampled points to show up. But I can’t put a finger on it yet…

Elco


#5

Thank you for thoroughly evaluating my issue. I’m away from my PC so I can’t test this right now, but I’ll play around with the orientation as you described.

May I ask if you run into the issue of the program freezing with using the connection bar feature on manually placed supports (connecting auto-generated supports works as intended)? It’s odd if it only occurs on my end, and I’m not sure how I should troubleshoot it.


#6

Hi,

No, no problem with the connection bar. I had no other reports of this so far.

It’s strange it happens on every model.
That could indicate settings
If you want you can email me your settings.xml file later and I could check if it’s some weird combination of parameters. Else I wouldn’t know what it could be.

Elco


#7

I decided to reinstall the program to see if there was an issue with the current settings, as you might have suspected. The behavior is now as it should be and it produces the desired results. Both tasks, editing of critical creases and surfaces and bridging manual supports now work.

I’ve attached the settings file from the old installation if you would like to investigate. Not sure what I might have changed to cause the issues.

settings.xml (83.8 KB)

Thank you for assisting me what the troubleshooting!