A bit crazy, but multi-printer option?

As we all know, new(and sometimes better) printers show up all the time.
But do we throw the old ones away?
No…

Do we use them?
Eh, it means changing profiles all the time… so, probably not all that often…

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could have several printers defined, and when you need to you just click on a ‘add printer’ button, and select which other printer you want. Then its print area becomes visible next to the one(s) you already see, and parts can be distributed easily amongst them.

I’m currently printing a bust from White Werewolf Tavern, and it comes with a printable base/plinth. It doesn’t need the same quality as the bust, so I could just have dragged it over to my Photon Zero instead. And then had enough room to print another bust at the same time…

Yes, it can be done manually. and it’s not all that much extra work on these busts…
But if a print is a dozen parts it can be a bit of a faff keeping track of which parts you managed to get onto one plate or not.

It would also make it easier to maximize the use of a single printer. Just set up several of the same, name them ‘plate1’, ‘plate2’ and so on, move all the parts here and there, and who knows, you may be able to save a print cycle when printing out a full set of something.

yeah sounds like a nice idea.

I think it might be better to make ‘tab’s’ for each printer. Much like you have in Fusion360 for documents.

For a 2d view it would be possible to place all printers in the same view. So one could nest parts over different printers/jobs.

For a 3d view the navigation is tricker to do well; the zoom would get to messy i think. Let alone many users already push the boundaries with very large models. Multiplying by printer would be making it more extreme. So in that case tabs would make more sense for 3d views…

just some thoughts…

Elco