Minimum offset for supports

Really need an offset function for supports. A distance to set to keep supports away from the sides of the model. I have had on a few the supports get printing in with the model because I couldn’t see one support behind another.

I don’t know if they can detect when a support touches a model or not. I haven’t been able to come up with a setting that prevents these intersections from happening.

Hi,

Yes we can detect it; but it’s slower.
I will make it an option in the next version, you are not the first to ask.

I actually speeded up the calculations and went back from full intersection detection to a simplified line intersection because of speed complaints.

So i’ll bring it back as an option to do a more thougher intersection check…

Elco

For most collisions, I think doing it by line may be adequate, but for the case where it just grazes the edge of the model, it wouldn’t work.

I know these algorithms can be pretty complicated. Are you able to take advantage of multiple cores to do the math or maybe some GPU code? :wink:

That would be awesome! Its very much needed.

I agree wholeheartedly with this–at the moment it’s easier for me to create the supports in Rhino and import into Formware just to slice. Auto supporting really doesn’t work, and the mechanics involved in navigating the UI to create manual supports make it literally painful to use.

Two thing I really don’t understand: why doesn’t the algorithm recognize surfaces?? The supports just pass right through the model in auto. And why do support tips enter the surfaces? Shouldn’t they rest on the exterior of the volume, always? Depressing to have spent money on something that makes life more complicated. IMO this is a pressing feature request.

Thank you for setting off in the right direction.

Hi all,

The latest version online does the intersection calculation of beam again with a more accurate representation instead of a line approach.

@MaiaMerav,

1. Can you point out what you don’t like in the navigation for single supports?
  2. Recognizing surfaces: do you have an example of what is not being recognized?
  3. Supports entering surfaces: they have to connect. If you would place them on the boundary it might end up not connecting in your build.

Hi all,

I’ve released an update online that handles a lot of the problems.

1. improved checking for interecting supports during auto support. Removes already problematic items or moves them to a better position with a new algoritm.

2. there is a ‘crease’ offset now. So you can print very sharp creases by positioning the supports right next to it on the lowest neighbourgh.

3. for single and auto supports you can now set the first beam length; this also give you more offset in your supports structure

4. you can also set an extra multiplication factor for the top joint to make it bigger (more stiff).

Hope this make it easier again to print.

Elco

release notes not updated yet… but the installer is online. 1.0.2.3

I just downloaded the latest version, so I will give it a try and provide feedback.