New user a few notes

as a new user there are a few things that I miss (or maybe I don’t understand how to do).

1. highlight isolated portions of the mesh. Once the supports are created would be nice to be able to highlight any left over “islands”
  2. option to connect a support to a previous tree. When creating a tree support would be nice to be able to connect that tree to an already existing one, or just simply being able to add an horizontal connection between supports
  3. when creating manual supports, the last support config should be memorized for subsequent supports generation (tip size, pillar diameter, etc…). Clicking “defaults” would revert to default
  4. shortcut to go up/down with the cross section
  5. basic mesh repair. would be really nice to have some very basic mesh repair tools. At the moment I often need to open meshlab to just re-save the model. That seems to fix some vertex overlap issues and it doesn’t look to be a complex computation as it takes just few seconds
  6. option to alter the anti-aliasing level

Thanks! Let me know if something is not clear :slight_smile:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Will add it to the todo list.
  2. Already on the list. Just still a bit doubting how to make it intuitive in the UI without becoming a click party
  3. Good idea. So you mean auto save when you change something in the support settings profile?
  4. PageUP / PageDOWN are working
  5. yes… to be honest i have a 80% working integration with our cloud mesh repair which is based om netfabb; just not 100% happy with how it is working. It seems that unfortunately lots of times random horrible meshes are uploaded and the server seems to get stuck. I guess some simple mesh repair would be an easy thing to make
  6. AA, there are 2 settings. 3D View is under “Graphics”. Slice Anti aliasing is under your ‘print profile’ and then the ‘slice export options’ tab. You have 2x, 4x or 8x.

Elco

thanks for your reply Elco.

I’d have another weird question for you… do you have any idea why formware wouldn’t work under wine? It would be great if I could use it under linux, but I’m getting some weird opengl errors. I know it’s totally unsupported but maybe you could give me some pointers. thanks!

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  151 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  22 (X_GLXCreatePixmap)
  Serial number of failed request:  2282
  Current serial number in output stream:  2282

Yeah… stop trying it won’t work i think.

These emulators that are in between have to pass on their graphics stuff to the GPU.
So they have to support an openGL version and profile. Often the implementation is not 100% complete.

Mostly they support only the openGL Core implementation (2009) (at least for mac/parallels/vmware) and not some of the older functions from OpenGL…

So… i have to invest a week to rewrite my OpenGL Code to the core implementation. Which is very annoying because for a CAD program the older OpenGL functions (for example draw a triangle; draw a line) all dissappear. They are removed to shaders in the Core implementation.

Basically that means that for every simple drawing operations where i now have 1 line of code i need a couple more and manage the ID’s to the memory buffers on the GPU… super irritating and I don’t understand the choices they made at the OpenGL consortium.

I decided to first do other user requests and put this on the agenda for later on…
On windows PC’s all openGL compatbility mode is supported as if it’s a normal mode. And it probably won’t change any time soon since lot of programmers still use it.

Elco

another couple of ideas:

1- when you startup the last selected printer should be automatically highlighted
2- drag and drop of stl from the explorer to the application windows!

Hi matt,

1. there is a ‘default’ checkbox for each printer. It will load as default. There’s a setting to hide the default window at startup.

2. you can drag/drop any compatible file in windows onto the 3dview. It will load then.
    Is this what you mean?

Elco

mh that’s weird, I just tried and it wouldn’t let me. I had to import the STL from the menu

mm that’s strange… i use standard windows events for this from windows forms… which windows do you use?

closing formware and reopening fixed the issue. I’m on win10